Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Christmas?

Every year, we sing songs about a white Christmas. In Seattle, we even think, “What a nice idea” as we sing it.

This year has the makings to be the worst Christmas ever. We’ve been essentially snowed in for a week. Have you any idea how claustrophobic a home can feel when stranded there with three exuberant children? We have chains for the car, but it’s still not safe to leave.

We missed our church’s birthday party for Jesus (although it’s been rescheduled to next week, it’ll be odd to sing carols the weekend AFTER Christmas). We missed Bake Day and the wonderful family time that goes with it. It looks like we’re going to miss Christmas Eve with family. I can’t remember the last time we’ve missed that. We might miss the candlelight service. We have gifts for the kids stuck on UPS trucks. Our moms might not make it to our home for Christmas day.

I’m trying not to let it get to me. I’m trying to enjoy the beauty of the snow, particularly the 12+ inches still undisturbed on our outdoor furniture out back, because this much is truly rare here. I believe God’s reminding us to be prepared for emergencies (we aren’t). And we’ve taken the opportunity to make cookies here at home, which the kids shared with our neighbors today. (Our budding entrepreneur Middle Child tried to bill me $6 in delivery fees.)

Friday it’s supposed to rain. I’ve vowed to never complain about the rain again. You’re welcome to remind me how sore I am after walking to work yesterday and shoveling snow the day before.

Meanwhile, we’re home, using our last opportunities of the year to threaten that Santa won’t bring gifts if the floor’s a mess, and trying to keep in mind what this holiday is really about.

I wish everyone a very Merry Christmas, and a happy New Year.

No comments: